Did you ever wish you could remember what an applicant looked like? Wouldn't it be nice if you could put their picture on their ACT! Contact record?
Realtors / Mortgage Industry:
Did you ever wish you could remember what a home buyer or a property looked like? Wouldn't it be nice if you could put a picture on the ACT! Contact record?
Did you ever wish you could remember the logo, business card, or room you designed for them? Or the jewelry or painting they purchased? Wouldn't it be nice if you could put a picture of it on their ACT! Contact Record?
What about your product? The widget? The gadget?
I can think of a million uses for this!
To add a field to your layout for a picture that will be unique to each contact record, follow these steps:
1. Define the Field: From the Tools menu, select Define Fields.
2. The next screen will default to View Fields for Contacts, which is what you want it to do. In the top right of the screen, select "Create New Field". Name the Field (using "This One" for this example), and from the pull down menu select "Picture" as the Field Data Type. In Field Behavior, let the defaults stay and click the "Next" button near the bottom.
3. In the next screen, simple click "Finish".
4. The screen will return you to the first screen where you to #2 above. Simply Close and ACT! will prompt you to modify the layout. Select Yes.
5. This will show you your Layout with all the Fields and Field Titles, unpopulated with your contacts! If this is the first time you have seen this, this is the place where you can move things around. Just for safety's sake, select "Save As" from the file menu and name your new layout something else (retaining the original in its original condition.)
6. Now, on the left of this screen, you will see a ToolBox. Select the "Picture Field" selection.
7. Move your curser to the place in the screen (including on certain tabs if you wish!) where you would like your picture to start, and drag to the place where you want the picture to end (making a rectangle where the picture will fit). A menu will pop up asking you to select a field. Select the field you created in step 2 above. You can choose if you want to include a field label, then select "Add".
8. Close the Layout Designer by clicking the "X" in the top, right corner. Save your changes.
9. Now from your regular Contact Screen in Detail view, you will need to select the new layout. Your default should be "Basic Contact Layout - 1024x768" (or something very similar.) Choose the arrow just right of that and pull it to select the new layout that you just designed. (You named it something else in step #5 above.)
10. Now you can right click the area where you placed the new picture field, select "Choose Image", and browse to find the desired picture! Again, this type of field will allow a unique picture for each Contact Record!
Or for the really simple method, call me to do it for you!
I recently had the opportunity to design a layout with 2 new tabs. The first contained 12 picture fields, each with a corresponding purchase date and description. The second contained 3 picture fields, each with a corresponding text field. It also contained a memo field to contain lengthy “important info”. I believe that this type of information will bring great value to the client's business. This is a little more complicated than the picture process noted above, but if something similar would benefit you, please call me to set it up!
Special Note: If you want to add one picture of graphic to they layout for all records, it is a different process. For example, you can "brand" your ACT! layout and have your logo on the ACT! screen for every contact record.... Maybe for a future blog post?