You can manually add Contact records to a Group, or you can set the Group to add Contacts records that meet certain criteria. What if you want to periodically find all Contacts added in the last 30 days? They will change from day to day, and thus each time you would need to start from scratch to look them up!
No, you would not: You can set Dynamic criteria for the Group and it will do the work for you, "rolling" contact records in and out of the Group based on the criteria YOU set!
To set Dynamic criteria for your Group, do this:
1. Open the Group or start a new Group
2. Select the "Add/Remove Contacts" button
3. A window will open where the top "half" will allow you to manually add or remove contacts ("Static" members of the Group) and the bottom "half" will allow you to Edit Criteria for Dynamic Members of the Group. Select "Edit Criteria".
4. A window will open allowing you to set the Group Criteria. CAREFULLY select the choices you want, noting the Field Name, Operator, and Value. Pay special attention to the Operator: Your selections include Starts With, Contains, Contains Data, Does Not Contain Data, etc. These options are literal!
5. If you wish to select criteria based on more than one field, you will "Add to list". In this selection, pay special attention to And/Or. If you select "And", the Contacts matched must contain both items on the list. If you select "Or", ACT! will find records meeting either one of the two criteria set.
6. Once you have set the desired criteria for the Contacts in your Group, you can Preview and adjust if needed.
7. Select "OK", and your Dynamic Group Criteria will be saved!
Many things in ACT! are easier than we think, but if you get stuck, call me and I will help: If my 2 hour minimum "house call" was preventing it, I now offer remote support with a 30 minute minimum (and 15 minute increments following)... It's just fast and efficient... and it could take you so much longer to figure it out alone ;-)